The production of a public work is necessarily different with each project. The basic stages are:
- Client delineation of the project
- Site investigation
- Research into the history and sociology of the site
- Development of design options and client approval
- Research into materials and processes
- Working together towards final designs with others, e.g., engineer, landscape architect, members of the community
- Production of the work in the studio and overseeing of other fabricators
- Overseeing site installation
- Administrative matters such as quotes, budgets, regulation adherence, maintenance manuals
Horwitz and Steel find research into sites exciting and their concepts flow from here rather than from prior stylistic concerns.
The experience of working collaboratively with the client, the community, and other professionals further stimulates the formation of ideas specifically tailored to the project.
Honing this flood of imagination into a practicable achievable outcome is the hard work of visualising dreams.